Monday, 11 July 2011

Just About Me 5

Well as you can see I am really getting into this now!

1967 was interesting in April I was in Du Cane Rd Hospital, with an abscess on my Left knee, Dad said it was a boil so being medically trained he set about squeezing it, Dr Allen admitted defeat for now and allowed me to have hospital treatment instead, he then went off to Villa Park to watch Chelsea beat Leeds United 1-0 in the FA Cup Semi Final, whilst I had my knee lanced.

In May Chelsea played Spurs in the FA Cup Final at Wembley, Spurs won 2-1, that morning I had been at Saturday morning pictures, where half the audience pledged allegiance to the Blues and half to Spurs and a singing battle commenced, the only thing Chelsea won that day.

Around this time, my Dad and me went for a walk at about midnight on a Saturday after he had been up the Pavillion Pub with my Mum, we walked down to Wormwood Scrubs, it was at this time that the A40 Westway was being built and we walked along it until it stopped half way approx 50 feet up in the air.

The other major event of 1967 was that I started secondary school, my parents were told at that time that the local boys school was not very good, so they applied for Holland Park School where no spaces were available, so I ended up going to Elliott Comprehensive School. It was situated in Putney SW15, 4 miles away. I had to get the 220 bus to Putney Bridge and then the 85 to the top of Putney Hill and then the same journey back again. My first day at school was nerve racking at best, I knew nobody and was put next to a guy called Carl Nemeth, they started to tell us the timetable and when they said we had two periods of games on a Thursday I thought that's handy we can bring in Monopoly or Cards. Can you imagine my face when they put us on a coach to some playing fields to learn Rugby.   (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_School_%28London%29)


No comments:

Post a Comment