Monday, 11 July 2011

Just About Me 3

I soon settled into Coverdale school and made a lot of friends and gained my first girlfriend, a couple of notable events that I remember were, the time the BBC filmed a piece for a magazine style TV programme, not sure what it was about but must have been detrimental to the school as we were all told not to speak to the reporters, one boy in my class was a real rebel and totally disregarded these instructions, his name was Herbert Clarke but I remember being in the background, this was my first TV appearance but not the last.

Another silly thing I remember from Coverdale was being walked to a school Football match at Ravenscourt Park, W6. The teacher told us not to talk going past the tree in front of a certain house. The tree was a Monkey Puzzle Tree, and we were not to talk because if we did it would bring us nothing but bad luck, he probably just wanted a bit of quite time, but to this now middle aged man he instilled a fear of talking when passing Monkey Puzzle Trees, and one that has now been passed to my wife and daughter.

Another major event in my life happened in 1965, my dad took me firstly to see Fulham FC play, it was okay I guess but on Saturday 17th April 1965 my dad took me for the first time to Stamford Bridge, the home of Chelsea FC. They played WBA and drew 2-2 (Chelsea goalscorers were Bert Murray and Bobby Tambling) and the crowd was 30,792, but to one small 9 year old boy a life long love affair was born. I vividly remember a sea of colour and a cacophony of noise that was infectious and very, very contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment