When I returned to school, I proudly told everyone including the teachers about my happy news regarding my Baby Sister, this came as an enormous surprise to my Mum because as I said earlier she had delivered us a baby brother, Andrew. I do not know of any reason to say this apart from being a bit of a story teller. Another of my stories was a diary kept at school of what we had done during our school holidays, most of the kids had been away to caravan parks etc, but not us, oh no we had been mountain climbing far away and my dad had fallen to his death. Happy to report that Dad is still with us at the age of 78.
I had a great early childhood with my playmates Larry Osbourne and Terry Smith, we played Run Outs, Had and of course Football, we played football up against the gates of the local church, St Peters. The gates seemed so big to me but were not really. My dad used to help out in the grounds of the church, not through religion but because he just loved gardening. I also attended as a member, the 3rd Fulham Boy Scouts, having great times bob a jobbing and in my mind guarding the community.
Thinking about it now my parents must have really struggled to bring us three boys up so nicely, they must have had to go without themselves to give us things. I recall an occasion that I was walking with my mum and glanced upon a crispy ten bob note (50p), my mum took it off of me lively. Which by my reckoning with interest she must now owe me a tidy sum!
In 1964, I was fortunate to wear an Olympic Medal, my friend Larry Osbourne's uncle was a member of the Great Britain Olympic Rowing Team that won a medal in the Tokyo Olympics, I do not know what colour it was but it was a very special moment for me.
In 1965, a major event in our lives happened. The local Authority decided to demolish our little prefab along with several others to accommodate a new housing complex which is now called St Peters Terrace. This came as a great trauma particularly to my Mum, she had lived in Fulham from her childhood.
We were all shipped off to a flat on the second floor of a small block in a far away (2 miles) place called Shepherds Bush!
Our flat was situated at 93 Macfarlane Rd, W12. In a small block opposite the London Transport training centre, a site which now accommodates the Westfield shopping centre.
Both myself and my brother were sent to a local primary school called Miles Coverdale Primary School (http://www.milescoverdaleprimary.co.uk/)
Thought it would be fun to put the current website on, so my family can see how it has changed.

No comments:
Post a Comment