Approx 1972, I was working for the solicitors, I had to walk from the Law Courts in the Strand to Somerset House, as I got closer I noticed a fairly large crowd standing outside, there was a side gate entrance to Somerset House and ignoring all the people I walked on in, as I got in I noticed a large statue in the courtyard covered by a large sheet, suddenly the crowd started to applaud a big black limousine, I stood still very near the statue, The Queen stepped out and unveiled the statue, funny thing is I don't recall her saying anything, she must have done so but I seem to remember her simply getting back in the car and driving off, not even a "Hello Paul".
I only ever worked once at Wembley Arena, the concert was by the American group the Commodores, I was stationed on the door that led through to the dressing rooms when a tall black guy went to walk past me, I told him that without a pass he was not coming in, he replied that without him their was no show, then their ain't no show son says I. He turned and walked away, a short while later he returned on this time he had the promoter Harvey Goldsmith with him, Harvey asked me why I had refused the guy admission, he has no pass I said, he is Lionel Ritchie he says, I had never heard of him let alone knew what he looked like, in fairness he supported my stance, and the show went ahead. He didnt do too badly in the music game and I reckon I secretley helped his career along.



No comments:
Post a Comment