In May 2008, we decided to go to Australia, the 3 of us and my Mother In Law Annette, the plan was to come back via Disneyland in Florida, USA. We made enquiries about it and I asked my work if they were OK with me taking my holiday all in one go, they were not only in agreement but we were offered the chance to visit South Africa as well, we were offered Holly's own house in Hermanus, near Cape Town, well it would have been rude to refuse wouldn't it, so we booked up to first go to South Africa onto Australia and finish up in the USA oh and then home. Hermanus was a two hour drive from Cape Town and it is a stunning drive at that, the house is truly amazing and the area is wonderful. We visited some amazing places whilst there, Simons Town where you have penguins on the beach, to vineyards and the Birkenhead brewery to the wildlife we saw, Antelopes, Zebras and Ostrich's. On to Sydney, Australia for 2 days, we saw Sydney Harbour Bridge and had a cup of hot chocolate near enough on the steps of the Opera House, and I absolutely loved Darling Harbour. Moving on to Brisbane, Australia. We stayed with Mandy's relations Jill and Charlie and their family, they took us around Brisbane and we visited all the families houses which have to be seen to be believed. We went to a place called Childers for a wedding and visited the Bundaberg Rum Distillery. A short 10 hour flight to Los Angeles for a one day stop over, we went on a guided bus tour of the city, seeing Hollywood Boulevard and all the golden stars in the sidewalk. Finally 3 days in Orlando, USA and all the major Disney parks just for Laura. And then to Gatwick and home to Carshalton, over too soon if you ask me.
When I started to use public transport again to get to work it was a bit of an eye opener, the first couple of days, I stood at the 80 bus stop with about 4 other people, and not one person spoke a word to another, the next day was the same with the same people, the next day I had had enough, I carried a bag to work and promptly dropped it on to the floor, it landed with a loud thud and I now had everyone's attention "Right" says I "This is my third day here, I will be here everyday and my name is Paul" we all struck up a conversation, probably about the service or the weather, now in 2011 I get on the bus and sometimes the driver knows my name. I speak to at least 25% of the other passengers, some have become real friends, among them are office worker's, chef's, printer's, decoraters, pensioners and school children and you know what they all talk to each other, I consider this a job well done, and hopefully proves that sitting next to the nutter on the bus is not such a bad thing after all.


No comments:
Post a Comment