Sunday, 7 August 2011

Just About Me 37

In July 2004 I was to be honest on the edge of depression, I was in bed one morning at about 10am, the phone rang, on the other end was my friend Nick Pomeroy, he asked me what I was up to, I replied nothing, he then said that a friend of his, Holly, was moving offices and wanted me to look after her, I said that I had a friend named Holly, he then shocked me by telling me it was the same person. I told my wife that Holly was really lovely, that she wanted me to watch her furniture and stuff being moved, and that she would probably pay me a couple of hundred quid for doing so. Holly Bellingham saved my life quite frankly, she asked me to visit her at her office in Lime Street, EC3. I waited in reception and her husband Simon Turner greeted me with a friendly "Hello mate", Holly came out carrying a painting, I gave her a cuddle and kissed her cheek, we went into her boardroom, by the way Holly was the Chairman of a major Lloyds of London Underwriting Insurance Company, it is called Marketform, it was in the boardroom that Holly showed me a painting of a building in Lloyds Avenue, London.The artist responsible for the painting was her mother. It was the building that her company were moving into, she spoke of my smiling face on her door and how nice to be greeted in the mornings etc. It became clear to me that she wanted me "Your offering me a full time job" I said " Of course I am you silly sod " she replied, I explained that I thought it was a one off removal job and she started to laugh. Well once again, I nearly cried, somebody had had faith in me, and as far as I am concerned she saved me from a life of Benefit's, and yes I mean the dole queue. Let me introduce you to my friend Holly, she is a wealthy woman in her own right, although to talk to her it is no different to talking to your mate down the pub, she is the most generous giving person I have ever met, she never ceases to amaze me, I was with her once and witnessed her paying for a family of four to go on a holiday abroad, a holiday they had never had because one of their children was recovering from leukemia and they just could not have afforded it.
She is everyones Mum, but dont you dare take the piss out of her or you know about it, from her I mean.
I started working at Marketform in October 2004, at first I can not lie, I hated it, I was used to night hours and all the things that happen in London at night, I am the front of house security man, and people would be telling me how much better off I would be, I thought they were mad, but you know what, even if the wages are a lot less than Raffles I really do enjoy it. And I would like to record here and now just how grateful I am to the people who work at Marketform for making me feel welcome every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment