Monday, 25 July 2011

Just About Me 19

I had been signing on for about a month when a couple we knew, Cath and Lawrence asked us both round to dinner, whilst there Lawrence asked me if I fancied working at the same place he was at for £100pw, in a warehouse in Kings Cross, London. The job entailed working at the back of a dingy warehouse putting plastic bags over the top of women's dresses, well you cant really say no when your out of work can you? So off I went to Kings Cross, about three months later I was on my way to work and posted my P45 form back to the unemployment office thinking it was probably about time to sign off, when I got to work my manager asked me to work on a rush job that had to be completed , thing was it had to be completed at the front of the warehouse, on the street in fact. So I started with all good intentions, after 15 mins or so the sun came out and it became  glorious spring day, so glorious that I downed tools, walked in to get my coat and told the manager that " I am off home now" , "what do you mean" he exclaimed, I explained that the sun was shining and that I was used to being out in the fresh air and frankly hated working in his warehouse, so off I went. When I got home the realisation set in that I had now sent my signing off form back on the same day that I had walked out of my job, I was a bit worried what Mandy would say but she was by now used to my stupid moods and had witnessed enough silly things by me to say nothing. Well now I had to get a job quickly to get the sack from because in them days you could go straight on the dole if you were sacked, so I took a job after a couple of weeks of lazing round as a shelf filler for a supermarket, two days in my plan was complete I had put my finger into two jars of fish paste and scooped the contents into my mouth. Well as you can imagine the boss was not to happy about this and grabbed me by the arm a bit roughly, I informed him that that may not be a good idea and to let go a bit lively or he would regret it, he sacked me on the spot. I got home just in time to watch Liverpool play Juventus in the Heysal Stadium as the match had been delayed due to the murdering scousers actions that night, it was May 1985. The next day I signed on again and everyone was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment