Friday, 22 July 2011

Just About Me 18

I was out of work for a few days and bumped into a young boy who had been my Saturday milkboy, he told me he was now a milkman himself for a company called Jobs Dairy based in Southall, Middx, So I took the 207 bus to Southall on the off chance and got employed because of my experience, so after the cowboys on the Express it was off to Southall to serve the Indians. They were a bit shrewder than your average Kensington resident so the wages were a bit less, a lot less.

We still had a bit of money left over, so I thought I would put some aside, and bought a quarter share in a Racehorse with Paul Sime, it was trained by a bloke in Cullompton, Devon named Jenkins, the horse was named Milly, Molly, Mandy. Myself, Paul and his brother Dennis drove to Warwick racecourse on a Saturday evening to watch our horse run. It was great fun entering the paddock to be greeted by Mr Jenkins who tipped his hat at us, we patted the horse and chatted to the jockey, then settled down in the owners enclosure to watch the race, it was a flat race over 3 miles and Milly, Molly, Mandy came a close 13th out of 14. But it was all worthwhile for the thrill of watching our quarter of the horse run. When the trainers bill arrived it became clear that we owned a front quarter because we were paying for an enormous amount of food, several bottles of Guinness, it had had shoes for running, shoes for walking, shoes for Sunday best etc, it had also banged it's leg and we had vets bills and swimming to pay for. So, bluntly we knocked him for the bill and are warned off by the jockey club from owning another horse, I never asked Paul, but I reckon if we were to buy a Greyhound.

The journey in the mornings and afternoons to and from Southall was getting me down, it was an hour there and an hour and a half sitting on a 207 bus, so I talked it over with Mandy and decided to pack it in and search for something new. So now I was signing on once a fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment