The great day arrived, Saturday May 23rd 1987, we had originally booked May 16th and had to change it, because it was FA Cup Final day and no one except our mums would have turned up, anyway May 23rd, it rained all day, I had stayed at my parents house in Sulivan Court, for my last night of freedom, whilst Mandy had stayed at home alone as she shouted down the phone to tell me, she was pretty fed up as I along with several others including her dad had popped out for a couple of pints. I was woken by my mum with a lovely fried egg sandwich and a cup of coffee, got up washed and shaved and went with my Brothers to the pub, we then made our way to the church, All Saints Church, Pryors Bank, Bishops Park, Fulham, SW6, by the way for us to marry at this church we had to say that I lived at my parents flat and Mandy lived at my friend Bernie Kelly's house in Burlington Rd, Fulham (Sorry God), the first person I saw was my Dads brother Wally and his wife Rose, we were having a chat when the vicar came out and asked for his money, I was a bit stunned by this as I knew nothing about a fee and was totally skint, Wally gave me a card and told me that I might want to open it straight away, £100, good old Wal had saved the day, I paid the robbing vicar his £60 and turned down the offer of a bell ringer.
Mandy arrived in a white vintage Rolls Royce looking stunning, a quick ceremony and she became Mrs Paul Allen, I still have a problem to this day explaining to her that she has become my property, we then went outside for an endless photo session with our chauffeur holding umbrellas over us to shield us from the driving rain. We then took a short journey to our wedding reception at the Broughton Rd community hall in Fulham SW6, Mandy's Aunt Ruby did the catering and her dad paid for the drink, a fellow caretaker Kevin Hooper did the disco and frankly we had a very good time. We then spent the night in the Hotel Lillie in Fulham. We had taken the family room, and was laying on the bed whilst Mandy went off to change, she re appeared with a plastic ducks mask on and a bunch of feathers sprouting from her rear end, this as you can imagine took me back a bit and I wondered if I had married a nutter, she informed me that we had had a conversation with her brother and his wife at which she had asked what she should wear on our wedding night, I had replied "I dont care if she has a ducks head and feathers up her arse", we had a good laugh about this but she drew the line when I told her I fancied popping out for Kentucky Fried Chicken.


No comments:
Post a Comment