My next job was at a company called Golden Ltd, they were based in Berkley Sq, W1. Their main business was as a subsidiary of L'Oriel they supplied women's hair and beauty products. I worked in the stationary and post room with a guy called Gerry, Gerry was about 40 years of age and loved Radio 4, he had a friend who worked in a local restaurant named Roylio, now with a name like Roylio I am sure you have all cracked on that he was gay, although in 1971, gay meant happy and frankly if the seven dwarves had walked in Roylio would have felt happy. He used to terrify me, he had a habit of turning up when Gerry was out and I used to grab a large paper knife, and at the time convinced myself that if he came near me, he would have got more than he bargained for.
Gerry was a very boring man as well, so after yet another 3 months I moved on again.
Key Employment never let me down, they fixed me up with a local firm of Solicitors, Bellamy, Bestford and De Lattre. They were based in Uxbridge Rd, W12 and I was there new messenger at £13 per week, I had to go to the Law Courts in the Strand to file papers for action, Somerset House to obtain marriage certificate's for divorce hearings and to Barristers Chambers in the Temple. I used to really enjoy the train journeys and the sights, one day I was in the Law Courts reading the daily events, when I saw a prison officer with a guy handcuffed to him, the guy was fiddling with the cuff's and somehow managed to slip them off, he ran as fast as he could straight out the door and up the Strand to Freedom. I don't know if he got caught or not but it was a dramatic escape to watch.
I lasted about 18 months in that job, and only left because they would not give me a pay rise.

No comments:
Post a Comment